The delivery of the prizes of the Academy of the Arts and Cinematographic Sciences American that congregates to main stars of the cinema also reunites many curiosities, and this year has not been the exception:
- In the categories of actors, 10 are name for the first time. The other 10 share a total of 49 nominations in several years. Three have an Oscar in house: Meryl Streep, Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett.
- The nomination of Meryl Streep by “Weak The Wears Prada” is the fourteenth for the actress, surpassing its own record reached in 2002. Katharine Hepburn and Jack Nicholson is the other two name actors more, with 12 each one.
- The Briton Kate Winslet is the youngest actress in receiving five nominations to her 31 years. The previous record had Olivia de Havilland, who to the 33 years received his fifth nomination in 1949.
- Penélope Cruz and Rinko Kikuchi are name as Better Actress and Better Actress of Distribution by papers in foreign languages. Four interpreters gained an Oscar speaking a language different from the English: Sophia Loren (“Two Women”), Robert De Niro (“Padrino II”), Roberto Benigni (“the life is beautiful”), Benicio Of the Toro (“Traffic”).
- Alexander González Iñárritu is first the Mexican in competing as Better Director and the fourth Hispano-American after the Argentinean-Brazilian Héctor Babenco (“the kiss of the woman spider”, 1985), the Brazilian Fernando Meirelles (“City of God”, 2003) and the Spanish Pedro Almodóvar (“He speaks with her”, 2000).
- If the tape of Clint Eastwood spoken in Japanese “Letters from Iwo Jima” got to win like Better Film would be the first time that films in foreign language would take the trophy. The seven films recorded in foreign languages that were name in the past are: “Grand Illusion”, “Z”, “The Emigrants', “You raise and Whispers”, “The Postman”, “the life is beautiful” and “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragoon”.